Better And Better

If you don't draw yours, I won't draw mine. A police officer, working in the small town that he lives in, focusing on family and shooting and coffee, and occasionally putting some people in jail.

Friday, March 27, 2009

Chutzpah

As sicky as I've been feeling (I'm going through our house's stocks of tea, and regretting not having visited the clinic this afternoon.), I'd better post this now, to make myself try to go:

Tomorrow, I plan to shoot the local inter-departmental police tactical match with my 2" Airweight Chief Special M37 .38 Special, if they'll let me.

They may very well not let me-- it's supposed to be a "duty gun" match, in which you shoot what you carry on duty. But I've carried this beat-up old airweight to classes, meetings, training sessions, administrative duties, etc, on duty, for years. I've carried that gun both as a backup and as an off-duty gun for years. I've qualified with it for two different departments, many times. Just this Tuesday, I wore it openly with badge-on-belt, with slacks and polo shirt, to an SFST update class all day, before dropping it into my pocket without a holster and with the badge put away that night, for my graduate classes at university.

I've got a few speed loaders and some speed strips for it, and a hundred or so 158g LSWC rounds. We'll see how I do against all those guys carrying their full-sized duty guns, which include some higher-end 1911s in the hosting PD. Seeing as how some stages will require multiple reloads for duty guns, this could get interesting for a 5-shot revolver. Then, too, there's the accuracy portion of the match, which usually requires 6 shots, reload, 6 shots in one minute, at 20 yards. (That one, I think, I can do fairly well at. This old revolver, even though it's a 2 inch, has some accuracy left in it, if I do my part.)

But it's going to be cold in the morning, and I'm sicky, and will have just gotten off duty. :(

Labels: , , , , ,

4 Comments:

At Friday, March 27, 2009 9:37:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh go do it if you're feeling up to it. I recently shot an IDPA match with my S&W 638, and it was a hoot. You've obviously carried your's far longer than I've had mine, so you may not get as much out of the experience as I did. Bottom line though...fun fun fun

 
At Friday, March 27, 2009 10:29:00 PM, Blogger none said...

Good luck!

I've got a airlite 342 but it's not well suited to anything over 7 yards.

 
At Saturday, March 28, 2009 12:38:00 PM, Anonymous Jerry said...

Good Luck with the "sickly." I know you'll do well with the shooting portion though ;-)

Best wishes that you'll "blow them away."

 
At Saturday, March 28, 2009 8:07:00 PM, Anonymous TBeck said...

The plainclothes LEOs around my neck seem partial to the Kimber CDP as their carry weapon of choice. I've seen them on local SO deputies and officers Bureau of Booze.

The little S&Ws can do very good work. I have an old square-butt J-frame that will roll pop cans on the 25-yard line with decent ammo.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites
.