Better And Better

If you don't draw yours, I won't draw mine. A police officer, working in the small town that he lives in, focusing on family and shooting and coffee, and occasionally putting some people in jail.

Sunday, December 25, 2011

Admittedly the best.

I just figured out that I'm a grownup. I'm 40, and have a family which I look around and realize that I'm the head paternal unit of.  I'm more than halfway to my retirement.

Most important, though, is that Christmas doesn't mean that I want anything, anymore. I want to be with my family, and to see the kids open some presents. I want to see them happy, yet not overwhelmed and spoiled.

This morning, my nine year old handed me a cup of coffee and a hand-made Christmas card. On the front was a monochromatic Christmas tree and the words "Merry Christmas! Daddy." On the inside was written:
I can't be your friend, but I can be your daughter-- and I am grateful for just that. Love, [Nine Year-Old].


Huh. Could have sworn she used a Sharpie. Can't figure out why the ink seems to be blurring.

I hope your day is filled with the warmth that is in my heart, right now.

Labels: , , , , ,

6 Comments:

At Sunday, December 25, 2011 12:39:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Takes a helluva dad to raise a daughter like that.

 
At Sunday, December 25, 2011 6:02:00 PM, Blogger Farmmom said...

And it will still be blurry years from now.

Merry Christmas my friend.

 
At Sunday, December 25, 2011 8:59:00 PM, Blogger Christina RN LMT said...

Merry Christmas! I find that the older I get, the more I enjoy giving gifts rather than receiving them.

 
At Monday, December 26, 2011 6:01:00 AM, Anonymous WROlsen said...

The great moment in your life will come sometime in the future when you realise that your daughter has now become your friend.
It's a wonderful moment in time.

 
At Tuesday, December 27, 2011 9:31:00 AM, Blogger phlegmfatale said...

Lovely story. :) I hope you and your gorgeous family had a grand Christmas, and will have many, many more. :)

 
At Thursday, December 29, 2011 10:40:00 AM, Blogger Old NFO said...

It was and agree with Suz!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites
.