Better And Better

If you don't draw yours, I won't draw mine. A police officer, working in the small town that he lives in, focusing on family and shooting and coffee, and occasionally putting some people in jail.

Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Late October weekend recap.

--Lou Reed died last night. Well, now it would be the night before last. I'm surprised at how many of my friends really liked him. I thought most people just know "Walk On The Wild Side". When I was a freshman, my roommate had a copy of Lou Reed's New York, which I played to death. It's excellent. The first song that came to mind after I got married was "Beginning Of A Great Adventure." (Not the best song on the album, though. The best is "The Dirty Boulevard." )

One of the most moving album reviews that I ever read was of Lou Reed's "Set The Twilight Reeling", in which the reviewer noted that the album was not so well-received because it displayed the softer side of Reed; he was in love in love with Laurie Anderson, and proclaimed it openly. To paraphrase the review, the writer said that we should all buy it and listen to it, because if two jaded New York social critics like these two could find love and lose themselves in it, then there is hope for all of us. And hope is worth a $12 risk on a CD.

--This weekend we traveled to Denton, and watched the Dia De Los Muertos Coffin Races down the hill on East Hickory, off the Courthouse Square. It was a lot of fun, and was more about style than speed:






 
--I worked a 24 hour shift this week this weekend at the fire department. I listened to a firefighter, whom I firmly believe would walk into a wall of flame to rescue a victim, express real terror at the thought of sleeping alone in the upstairs sleeping quarters. Because they're haunted. I did everything that I could not to roll my eyes, but I don't know how successful I was.
 
--We went to Six Flags Over Texas for "Fright Night" on Saturday night, and got season's passes. I dropped by the security office to sign in because of the metal detectors. When I got out my pistol to check the serial number, the security sergeant there, who has seen a lot of such procedures over his years there, expressed interest in my pistol, having never seen one like that before. It was just a S&W 637 with a bobbed hammer spur. Now I was confused. Since when has a Chief's Special been an unusual off-duty cop's gun?
 
--We rode on the "Superman Tower Of Power" ride (apparently Metropolis and Gotham are now considered to be two of the flags that Texas has had flown over it.).  A storm raged in the near distance as we shot 330 feet into the air. I pointed out at the apogee that we might die due to lightning. My elder daughter was not reassured by that. She thought it quite amusing how I whooped and hollered on that ride. Damned exhilarating being accelerated up at about 2 g's, and DOWN at well over the acceleration due to gravity. I've sky dived, and it was only a little cooler. Shortly after, they shut down the rides. I hustled the family out of the park, and we just beat the storm out.
 
--I went to visit some of the firefighters at a campout at a nearby lake. One of the guys there had made "chili." He was born in Ohio, and was raised by Yankees, so he has an excuse for what he served us. It was actually quite tasty, bless his heart. But it wasn't Texas red.
 
--At the FD, I watched the Dallas/Detroit football game. Both teams played very well, and the score was decided in the last minute. Exciting, right? No. The two other firefighters watching were disgusted with the Cowboys for blowing it. The Dallas Cowboys had "effed it up."  I don't root for a team, but I thought that it was a good contest, and was surprised that they were so upset. They don't appreciate a good game? It's only fun to watch when their team wins?  I submit that they weren't being football fans, so much as winning fans. Yawn. 

--I watched this dash video of a street level supervisor responding to an officer-involved shooting in Warren, OH. I hope that the brass recognize what a superb supervisor that they've got in Sgt. Holmes (4690). He stays off the radio except when necessary while responding to the scene. He arrives, and takes control of the scene in a direct, but not panicked manner. He gives explicit instructions as to what he wants done, but doesn't hold forth. He took a tough situation, and did a good job. Warren P.D. comes out looking really good in this handling of what appears to be a good shoot.

---There is no report more boring to work than a fraud report. Period.

Labels: , , , ,

6 Comments:

At Wednesday, October 30, 2013 7:01:00 AM, Blogger jon spencer said...

Chili from Ohio, did it come served over spaghetti?

 
At Wednesday, October 30, 2013 10:24:00 AM, Blogger Old NFO said...

Glad y'all got some fun in... And yeah, total professional, no drama, and calling out what was going on. Good chain of evidence!

 
At Wednesday, October 30, 2013 5:18:00 PM, Blogger Tam said...

I think Magic and Loss might be one of my favorite albums ever.

It was in heavy rotation at a heavy time for me.

 
At Thursday, October 31, 2013 2:39:00 PM, Anonymous Mark said...

Hey Matt-

My name is Mark, I work with an ammo retailer online. I'm Sorry to leave a comment like this - I couldn't find an email address.

Just wondering if you'd ever be interested in reviewing some ammo?

If so, please drop me a line when you can. Mark@ammoforsale.com. Thanks and take care!

 
At Saturday, November 02, 2013 10:49:00 AM, Blogger The Scribbler said...

What constitutes good chili in your estimation? I'm rather fond of the chili my dad makes, but he's lived in the frozen northern wastelands all his life, so I can't speak to the authenticity.

 
At Thursday, November 28, 2013 8:26:00 AM, Blogger Mike said...

Wish'd I a' known you were in Denton. I would really like to meet you and Lawdog (he pointed me in the right direction for some training in AZ last year- I'm forensic, not sworn]. Looks like you had a good time. Enjoy your blog, man, good stuff.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites
.