Better And Better

If you don't draw yours, I won't draw mine. A police officer, working in the small town that he lives in, focusing on family and shooting and coffee, and occasionally putting some people in jail.

Wednesday, September 10, 2014

September, this and that. Curmudgeon.

--I'm training a rookie. He's a nice guy, but I'm not used to having another guy in my patrol car. We're joined at the hip all shift.

--My daughter just turned 16, and I won't let her take her driving test until I'm completely satisfied with her ability with the manual transmission Honda that I'm giving her. She's really coming along, though. Something finally just clicked with regard to her feathering the clutch while revving an underpowered engine (there's just not that much compression left after all these years). I want her to really GET the joy of using your gears to maintain a perfect speed and keep you at the top of your power curve while downshifting through a downhill double-S curve, and then accelerating out of it, never touching the brake. I also love that she will know how to drive whatever she chooses to drive.

--I'm getting old or something. I've been really noticing lately how people let their kids interrupt adult conversations to have their say. I'm talking about 4 and 5 year-olds, lately. I'll be dealing with the parent in an important issue, and the parent will stop down to hear what the kid has to add. Which, of  course, means that I have to stop down to hear it, too. There is this egalitarian philosophy that seems to have pervaded the world, about how Everyone Has A Right To Give Their Opinion. Except that: that 4 year-old's opinion was not sought. It did not add to our understanding of the situation. Grownups were talking, and you have now rewarded undesired behavior.
I weep for our future.

--I get some evil looks when I casually mention that someone's kid is "kinda high maintenance, isn't he?" Oops.

--I bought some stuff from an older gent that my mother knows. He has Parkinson's and was clearing out some of his gun stuff. I got some dies and a bunch of bullets and a whole bunch of fired cases, along with some .44 Mag ammo  and some other reloading tools, for $100. I expressed interest in the old reloading manuals that he had, and he asked for $15 more. I only had a $20, and he didn't make change. Ah, well, I came away with a pretty good haul. That said, I don't have a 7mm magnum, for which a lot of the cases, bullets, and some dies were for. Also I got a bunch of cases and bullets for .22-250, which I don't have. (I would LOVE to have a Savage 99, but I'd rather it be .250-3000 or .300 Savage.)  There was a case of 12 gauge shotgun shells which touted the "New Plastic Hulls." There were 20 round boxes of .44 Magnum for under $5.00. I bought a couple of large shallow TupperTote boxes to put it all in, and put the lids on them, to keep the dust out.

--It never occurred to me to go visit the guy without taking my dad along. Those kind of treasure hunts are right up his alley.

--Now I'm the parent haranguing his 7th grade daughter into using her agenda planner every day to be organized about studying for tests and getting assignments in on time. I have to stay on her, or she won't use it. She protests that she's not organized. I answer that that is EXACTLY why she needs to use it. All the time.

--I'm wanting a new car for me. I'm thinking about a nice reliable used Tacoma 4dr pickup.

--This crappy low/no-carb diet of mine has caused me to lose a belt notch or two this past summer, and about 20 something pounds. I will grudgingly admit that the diet works. Eh.

--Some dudes are up on my house right now to put on a new roof. We're negotiating it into gutters as well. Getting excited about putting gutters on your house pretty much makes you an Old Man.

--Get your prostate checked. And donate to Kilted To Kick Cancer, which my buddy Ambulance Driver and others are raising money for.

Labels: , , , , , ,

7 Comments:

At Wednesday, September 10, 2014 12:57:00 PM, Blogger Sherm said...

My daughter discovered another benefit of a standard transmission when at college. No one (or very, very few) ever asked to borrow her car.

(The fact that it was a Volvo station wagon with 250,000 miles may have had something to do with it too.)

 
At Wednesday, September 10, 2014 10:48:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

20 pounds is nothing to sneeze at. I just grudgingly went back to counting calories, but I didn't go back on sugar or simple carbs other than occasional fruit or peanut butter in small amounts. I'd gotten to the point where I was consuming such mass quantities of nuts and cheese and the like that I really wasn't following a low-carb plan anymore, either.

I'd love to end up with a Tacoma with a 5-or-6-speed, I think. Not sure if that exists.

 
At Thursday, September 11, 2014 3:49:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Used to have a couple as friends who allowed their young kids to, well, not just interrupt, but form the axle around which the entire family rotated 24X7.

After a number of instances in which whatever the kids wanted/needed to babble about/etc. was more important than whatever the adults were doing I started just leaving. Yes, that's rude. So is ignoring an invited guest, because the precious snowflake(s) wanted a different crayon. Interestingly, a couple of times they didn't notice I had left.

They eventually got the message, but maintained the behavior. Haven't seen them in years.

 
At Thursday, September 11, 2014 6:25:00 PM, Blogger Shard said...

I am lucky enough to have inherited my grandpa's Savage 99 in .300 Savage. Love the gun!

 
At Friday, September 12, 2014 11:11:00 AM, Blogger Old NFO said...

It's called growing up Matt, we ALL have to do it... :-D I know 'somebody' that will take that 22/250 off you if it's 52-55 grain... :-)

 
At Wednesday, September 17, 2014 1:15:00 PM, Blogger Hunter said...

Between a "flex-itarian" diet (half the week Paleo, half vegan)I've dropped 60 pounds and five inches off my waist. Loosing bread and pasta was the hardest part of the change.
CrossFit three times a week for twenty months does not hurt, either.

 
At Thursday, September 25, 2014 10:50:00 AM, Anonymous Blackwing1 said...

Don't bother with a Tacoma, get a full-size Tundra. The MPG will be about the same, and you get the advantage of a bigger 4-door cab and a full-size bed.

I lived with a piece-of-stuff Ranger for 10 years, hating every minute of it. It left me on the road multiple times. When I started to look for a new truck, the Fix Or Repair Daily brand wasn't even in the runnnig.

I've had my 2010 Tundra with the smallest V8 they put in it for about 4 years, and absolutely love it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites
.